Milwaukee's Roman Catholic archbishop warned a top Vatican office led by future Pope Benedict XVI about a priest who may have molested as many as 200 deaf boys, according to documents obtained by The New York Times, but the priest never was defrocked.
The documents were provided by two lawyers who have filed lawsuits alleging the Archdiocese of Milwaukee didn't take sufficient action against the Rev. Lawrence Murphy. The priest, who died in 1998, worked at the former St. John's School for the Deaf in St. Francis from 1950 to 1975.
In 1996, then-Milwaukee Archbishop Rembert G. Weakland sent letters about Murphy to the Vatican office called the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, which was led from 1981 to 2005 by Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, the future pope. Weakland received no response from Ratzinger, the Times reported.
Eight months later, the second in command at the doctrinal office, Cardinal Tarciscio Bertone - now the Vatican's secretary of state - told the Wisconsin bishops to begin secret disciplinary proceedings, according to the documents. But Bertone halted that process after Murphy wrote to Ratzinger saying he already had repented, was ailing and that the case's statute of limitations had run out, the Times reported.
The documents contain no response from Cardinal Ratzinger.
Weakland also wrote to a different Vatican office in March 1997, saying an attorney's impending lawsuit would make the case public.
CBS News correspondent Allen Pizzey reports that a small group of American victims of sex abuse in Catholic churches, representing the group SNAP, demonstrated outside the Vatican on Thursday.
SNAP members who made the trip to Rome to lay their complaints directly at the Pope's doorstep told CBS News they believe the Vatican is still withholding some evidence presented by the American church against alleged abusers.
The documents emerged even as the Vatican deals with an ever-widening church abuse scandal sweeping several European countries. Benedict last week issued an unprecedented letter to Ireland addressing the 16 years of church cover-up scandals here. But he has yet to say anything about known to have developed when, as cardinal, he oversaw the Munich Archdiocese from 1977 to 1982.
Catholic Sex Abuse Scandal Nears Pope
For Victims, Pope's Apology Falls Short
The Rev. Federico Lombardi, a spokesman for the Vatican, told the Times in a written statement that the Vatican did not receive Murphy's case until 1996, years after civil authorities investigated and dropped it. Lombardi also said Murphy's poor health and a lack of more recent allegations were factors in the decision not to defrock him. He noted "the Code of Canon Law does not envision automatic penalties."
More on the Catholic Church and Abuse Allegations
Irish Bishop Resigns Over Sex Abuse Claims
Catholic Church: U.S. Abuse Claims Fell
6 in German Diocese Accused Over Abuse
Pope Blasts Abusers in Irish Church
More Ex-Vienna Choir Boys Allege Abuse
The Times obtained the Murphy documents from Jeff Anderson and Mike Finnegan, attorneys for five men who have sued the Milwaukee archdiocese alleging fraud. The newspaper said the documents included letters between bishops and the Vatican, victims' affidavits, the handwritten notes of an expert on sexual disorders who interviewed Murphy and minutes of a final meeting on the case at the Vatican.
Anderson said he would e-mail the documents to The Associated Press on Thursday. He said in a phone interview Wednesday night that they show the Vatican was more concerned about possible publicity than about the abuse allegations.
"Instead of removing him from the priesthood, they just gave him a free pass," Anderson said. "In this case, it's a free pass at the highest level."
After Murphy was removed from the school in 1974, he went to northern Wisconsin, where he spent the rest of his life working in parishes, schools and, according to one lawsuit, a juvenile detention center.
Previously released court documents show Weakland oversaw a 1993 evaluation of Murphy that concluded the priest likely assaulted up to 200 students at the school.
Weakland resigned as archbishop in 2002 after admitting the archdiocese secretly paid $450,000 to a man who accused him of sexual abuse.