crimesider

Newtown, Conn., schools briefly placed on modified lockdown after threat, official says

Police responded to a school in Newtown, Conn. after a school official said there was an implied phone call threat, Monday, June 10, 2013.
WFSB

(CBS/AP) NEWTOWN, Conn. - Officials in Newtown, Conn., say their school system was placed on lockdown briefly Monday after someone made a threatening phone call to a school near the site of last December's shooting massacre.

PICTURES: Victims of Conn. school shooting

Interim schools superintendent John Reed says the threat was implied Monday afternoon in a call to Hawley Elementary School. Reed hasn't released details but says no one was hurt.

Reed says police Chief Michael Kehoe and other officials responded to Hawley and joined officers stationed there to investigate. He says the chief requested the district-wide lockdown.

According to CBS Connecticut, a modified lockdown was implemented, in which doors were locked, but children continue with their classes.

The modified lockdown ended when schools dismissed for the day. It caused busing delays throughout the district.

CBS Connecticut reports police and the FBI are investigating the threat.

"In addition to the policeman who was present when the call came in, other members of the Newtown Police department and the chief...arrived within 5 minutes," Reed said, according to the station.

Hawley is less than 2 miles from Sandy Hook Elementary School, where a gunman killed 20 first-graders and six educators in December. Newtown has increased school security since then.

Complete coverage of the Newtown school shooting on Crimesider

  • Crimesider Staff

Comments

Follow Us

Watch CBSN Live

Watch CBS News anytime, anywhere with the new 24/7 digital news network. Stream CBSN live or on demand for FREE on your TV, computer, tablet, or smartphone.