(CBS/AP) ECORSE, Mich. - Police say Detroit-area woman Amanda Clayton, who collected welfare benefits despite winning a $735,000 lottery prize, has died of a possible drug overdose.
Clayton, 25, was found dead around 9 a.m. Saturday at a home in Ecorse, Mich., southwest of Detroit, according to police Sgt. Cornelius Herring.
According to CBS Detroit, in September of 2011, Clayton won a $1 million jackpot, before taxes, in the "Make Me Rich!" game show sponsored by the Michigan Lottery. The winning contestant gets a lottery prize.
Michigan's Department of Human Services says Clayton didn't inform the state about her pre-tax lottery windfall.
Lawyer Todd Flood, who represented Clayton when the attorney general's office prosecuted her for not reported her winnings, said Clayton probably didn't have the maturity to handle the lump-sum winnings, much like other people with sudden riches.
He says Clayton had some money left but it was a "far cry" from where she started.The Lincoln Park woman pleaded no contest to fraud in June and was sentenced to nine months' probation in July. Her attorney has said Clayton repaid about $5,500 in food aid and medical benefits.
Gov. Rick Snyder signed a law in April requiring lottery officials to tell Human Services about new winners.
More on Crimesider