Marine Corps forces out 2 generals over Afghanistan security breach
FILE - An armored vehicle patrols on the periphery of Camp Bastion in southern Afghanistan, in this Wednesday, Jan. 10, 2007 file photo. The Taliban claimed responsibility on Saturday, Sept. 15 2012, for an attack against the sprawling British base in southern Afghanistan that killed two U.S. Marines and wounded several other troops, saying it was to avenge an anti-Islamic film which insulted the Prophet Muhammad and also because Britain's Prince Harry is serving there. Camp Bastion, which is the middle of the Afghanistan desert, locally called Dasht-e-Margo or "the Desert of Death" houses some 3,500 British servicemen and provides logistic supports to all the troops for their various operations in Southern Afghan.
File,AP Photo/Manish Swarup
WASHINGTON The U.S. Marine Corps' top leader has forced two two-star generals to retire for what he called their failure to secure a base in Afghanistan attacked by the Taliban last year, killing two Marines and destroying several aircraft.
The commandant of the Marine Corps, Gen. James Amos, said Monday he took the action after reviewing the findings of a four-month investigation by the U.S. Central Command. Fifteen Taliban fighters penetrated Camp Bastion in southwestern Afghanistan in a September 2012 attack that was one of the most brazen of the war.
Amos said he asked Maj. Gen. Charles M. Gurganus and Maj. Gen. Gregg A. Sturdevant to retire. They agreed to do so.
Gurganus was commander of all coalition forces in southwestern Afghanistan. Sturdevant was commander of Marine aviation in the area.