Longevity's Little Secret

Deena Kastor of the United States crosses the finish line as the top female American finisher during the 111th running of the Boston Marathon on April 16, 2007. Extreme weather made for tough conditions, with heavy winds and rain. GETTY IMAGES/Darren McCollester

At age 99, retired college professor Helen Reichert still has a deep passion for music.

"I can't pass a piano without doing a little something," she said.

And a love for her late husband, she says, no man will ever match. So Helen lives alone and likes it.

Does she think there's a chance of marriage after she turns 100? "Never occurs to me! Where am I going to find the man? He's going to be dead. He's going to be older than I am. What's he going to be, 102? Going to have false teeth, or he's going to be bald!" she said.

Admittedly stubborn, with a sense of humor, but doctors say Helen Reichert may also hold the secret to longevity.

It's certainly not her habits. "I smoke. I don't go to the gym. I don't take exercise. I don't take vitamins," she said.

Doctor's say it could be her genes. A native New Yorker, Helen Reichert is part of the first of its kind study at Albert Einstein College of Medicine. Research, reports CBS News Correspondent Byron Pitts, that could unlock the key to living longer.

Looking At Longevity
Click here to read Dr. Barzalai's study (in .pdf format).
"There's something in the genes that protect them," explains Dr. Nir Barzilai, who is studying a group of Jewish centenarians of eastern European descent. "It seems that the centenarians and their children have an unusually high level of what we call the good cholesterol."

While studies in the past in Asia and parts of Russia focused on environment and diet. Dr. Barzilais research revealed that HDL, or good cholesterol, in centenarians is twice that of others.

Helen's HDL is 103. The average middle aged woman has an HDL level around 55.

Still, doctors say 70 percent of the key ingredients to longevity are exercise and health diet. The other 30 percent is all genetics.

"To get to 100, to go the extra 20 years or so, I'd say you need these genetic booster rockets or these special genes," said Dr. Thomas Perls of Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center.

And if they could put those genes in a bottle, scientist believe they'll not only have the secret to longevity, but prevent diseases like cancer.

"My hope is that we will actually see the development o medications like this within the next ten years or so that would allow people to age more slowly and either markedly delay or escape some of these terrible diseases like Alzheimer's," said Dr. Perls.

After 99 years the only thing that's slowed Helen Reichert down is a recent hip injury. She still enjoys big city life. She said the best part of being 99 is "Memories. You are so rich in memories. It is fantastic."

And memories that scan all of one century and the beginning of a new one. Now with the help of science, one woman's secret could extend the lives of millions.


©MMI, Viacom Internet Services Inc., All Rights Reserved
  • CBSNews.com staff CBSNews.com staff

Comments

Follow Us

Watch CBSN Live

Watch CBS News anytime, anywhere with the new 24/7 digital news network. Stream CBSN live or on demand for FREE on your TV, computer, tablet, or smartphone.

On Twitter