crimesider

Johan Santana, Mets Pitcher, Dismisses Rape Allegations: "The Case is Closed"

New York Mets starter Johan Santana (AP Photo/Richard Drew)

FORT MYERS, Fla. (CBS/AP) New York Mets pitcher Johan Santana has declared his innocence regarding a rape accusation against him and stated "the case is closed" and has been closed since last year.

A young woman who wishes to remain anonymous claimed that last October Santana forced himself on her in a sexual manner while the pair was walking along a golf course in Ft. Myers, Florida

The the state attorney's office decided not to prosecute the case in January of this year due to lack of evidence.

In a written statement, prosecutors said, "There is not enough evidence to prove lack of consent, the alleged victim's statement is not consistent with other witnesses."

Authorities obtained a search warrant for the accuser's computer but determined it held no useful evidence.

After Santana briefly addressed the situation Wednesday, the Mets came forward and said that they are aware of the allegations and believe "it's a personal matter."

According to the incident report, Santana and the woman were walking on the golf course around 9 p.m. on Oct. 27 when the famed pitcher began to make sexual advances. The report states that the woman told Santana multiple times to stop, but he allegedly persisted.

She contends they had non-consensual intercourse.  The "victim" claims she dressed herself and then walked back to the tennis courts to watch Santana play tennis.  She said she later returned home and washed her face.

That's what she said.

Looks like it's game, set, and match for this case.

Comments

Follow Us

Watch CBSN Live

Watch CBS News anytime, anywhere with the new 24/7 digital news network. Stream CBSN live or on demand for FREE on your TV, computer, tablet, or smartphone.

Watch Now
The all new
CBS News App for Android® for iPad® for iPhone®
Fully redesigned. Featuring CBSN, 24/7 live news. Get the App