Grandma's pot cookies land 3-year-old Southern California boy in hospital

(AP) MURRIETA, Calif. - Police say a 3-year-old Southern California boy ended up in the hospital after eating his grandmother's marijuana-laced cookies.

Murietta police Sgt. Phil Gomez told the Riverside Press-Enterprise Monday that the grandmother, a cancer patient, had a doctor's recommendation to use marijuana to ease her pain.

Gomez says she had baked a batch of drug-laced cookies and stored them in a garage refrigerator.

Bill may decriminalize small amounts of pot in NY
Poll: Half of CA voters oppose legalizing pot
N.J. issues first permit for legal pot growing

The toddler's father had seen cookie crumbs in the garage but the family grew concerned only when they couldn't wake the toddler after more than 16 hours of sleep and realized he had consumed the cookies.

The child was observed at a hospital and released.

Investigators are awaiting toxicology tests. If marijuana is found in the child's system, family members could face child endangerment charges.

Comments

Watch CBSN Live

Watch CBS News anytime, anywhere with the new 24/7 digital news network. Stream CBSN live or on demand for FREE on your TV, computer, tablet, or smartphone.

Watch Now

New Android App

For your Android phone and tablet, download the FREE redesigned app, featuring CBSN, live 24/7 news.

Download
The all new
CBS News App for Android® for iPad® for iPhone®
Fully redesigned. Featuring CBSN, 24/7 live news. Get the App