Dog swallows 111 pennies, saved by vet

This undated image provided by BluePearl Veterinary Partners shows the Jack Russell terrier named Jack that swallowed 111 pennies. AP Photo/BluePearl Veterinary Partners

NEW YORK A New York City dog has undergone emergency surgery to remove more than 100 pennies from his stomach.

The New York Daily News reports that a Jack Russell terrier named Jack swallowed 111 pennies last week and quickly became ill.

The X-ray of Jack, the Jack Russell terrier that swallowed 111 pennies.
AP/BluePearl Veterinary Partners

The 13-year-old pooch's owner rushed him to a Manhattan veterinarian for emergency surgery.

That's when dog doctors put Jack under anesthesia and methodically removed all 111 coins. The zinc from the coins could be lethal.

The dog's owner told the newspaper his best friend is back to his normal self, driving him crazy.

Comments

CBSN Live

pop-out
Live Video

Watch CBSN Live

Watch CBS News anytime, anywhere with the new 24/7 digital news network. Stream CBSN live or on demand for FREE on your TV, computer, tablet, or smartphone.