BENSALEM, Pa. - A Pennsylvania man has been charged with homicide after police said he used a portable generator to kill his mother with deadly carbon monoxide, reports CBS Philadelphia.
Thirty-year-old Koustantinos Yiambilis allegedly turned on the generator in his mother's home late Monday night in Bensalem, Pa., northeast of Philadelphia, "producing carbon monoxide, which is poisonous."
He is currently hospitalized - sick from the fumes himself - but police say he will soon be sent from the hospital to a jail cell.
Yiambilis is charged with homicide, risking a catastrophe, reckless endangerment and other offenses.
After neighbors called 911, officers arrived at the Longmeadow Apartments and evacuated several units at the residence. Police found the suspect in an apartment with his 59-year-old mother, Karen Yiambilis, who was unconscious on a bedroom floor. She later died of carbon monoxide poisoning at the hospital, CBS Philly station reports.
"At this point we're not going to speculate as to what his motive was," Aninsman said. "The investigation is obviously going to continue, but at this point we have reason to believe that Koustantinos intentionally caused the death of his mother."
Friends of the suspect had a difficult time believing he could do what police are saying. "He was a really nice guy," a neighbor told CBS Philly. Another neighbor told the station: "[Koustantinos] is lost without [his mother]. You can tell how close they were."
Police said the suspect will be detained without bail.