The ex-wide receiver pleaded guilty Thursday morning to one count of attempted criminal possession of a weapon, a lesser charge than he initially faced. Under a plea agreement, he agreed to a two-year prison sentence and two years of supervised release.
CBS News Chief Legal Analyst Andrew Cohen says Burress will likely not spend the full two years in prison, but will be let out on parole before then. But the sentence means he will miss this football season as well as the next.
Burress was indicted earlier this month on two counts of criminal possession of a weapon and one count of reckless endangerment. He faced a minimum sentence of 3 1/2 years if convicted at a trial.
Click here for a photo essay featuring more athlete mug shots
Today's plea deal came at the start of the case, saving time and money, Cohen says. The questions of where Burress will be sent and how long he will actually be there have yet to be answered.
Burress' sentencing is set for Sept. 22.