Last Updated Feb 8, 2011 2:58 PM EST
What did they find? Among other things, they discovered that the Golden State has lost a lot of glitter. Eight of the 20 most miserable cities are in California this year. You can see the whole list at Forbes, but here's the top 5 and what made them stand out as this year's most miserable places to call home.
1. Stockton: Housing prices down 67%; forclosures affecting almost 7% of homes; violent crime and unemployment rates among the 10 worst in the country.
2. Miami: With 404 government officials convicted of crimes, corruption was a deciding factor for Miami, which otherwise can brag about sun and a lack of state income taxes.
3. Merced: Unemployment 16.2%. Home prices down 64%.
4. Modesto: The auto theft capital of the nation, with 3,712 cars stolen in 2009 alone.
5. Sacramento: Like the rest of the state, people who live in Sacramento have to pay 9.55% of their income in taxes, while they grapple high crime and unemployment. But Sacramento also has the Kings, an NBA franchise that's lost almost three-quarters of its games.