The all new
CBS News App for Android® for iPad® for iPhone®
Fully redesigned. Featuring CBSN, 24/7 live news. Get the App
crimesider

Aaron Hernandez's lawyers challenge search warrant

Aaron Hernandez in court June 18, 2014.

CBS Boston

FALL RIVER, Mass. - Lawyers for Aaron Hernandez are questioning the validity of a search warrant executed at the former New England Patriots player's home as part of an investigation into last year's shooting death of semi-pro football player Odin Lloyd, in which Hernandez is charged with murder.

In court on Wednesday, the defense questioned a state trooper involved in the June 2013 search of Hernandez's North Attleborough home as part of the investigation into the killing Lloyd, who had been dating the sister of Hernandez's fiancee.

The 24-year-old Hernandez, who is held without bail after pleading not guilty in the case, appeared in court but did not speak.

The defense said the affidavit filed in the application for the warrant mentions that police were looking for GPS evidence, but the actual search warrant does not mention GPS evidence.

The trooper said the affidavit and warrant were attached with a paper clip.

Defense attorneys are seeking to have some evidence dismissed and argued in court Monday for the charges in the Lloyd case to be dropped, saying that prosecutors have not established probable cause.

Prosecutors countered that they have powerful evidence against the former NFL star.

The judge did not immediately rule.

Hernandez is also charged in a separate murder case in which he is accused of gunning down two men in Boston in a drive-by shooting in 2012. He has also pleaded not guilty.