An Afghan lawmaker says 95 children are among the 140 people Afghan officials say died in a U.S.-Taliban battle earlier this month.
U.S. spokesman Col. Greg Julian says "there is no physical proof that can substantiate that" claim.
Julian says the insurgents are responsible for the deaths because they forced villagers to remain in homes during the battle. The U.S. won't say how many people it thinks were killed in the May 4-5 fight in Farah province.
Afghan lawmaker Obaidullah Helali says the Afghan members of the delegation investigating the clash in Bala Buluk district are delivering condolence payments to the victims, payments ordered by President Hamid Karzai.
© 2009 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.