The all new
CBS News App for Android® for iPad® for iPhone®
Fully redesigned. Featuring CBSN, 24/7 live news. Get the App

12-Year-Old Missouri Boy Accused of Murdering Mother and Stepfather

Outside of home where 12-year-old is accused of murdering his parents (KRCG)
Outside of home where 12-year-old is accused of murdering his parents (KRCG)
Outside of home where 12-year-old is accused of murdering his parents (KRCG)

OSAGE BEACH, MO. (CBS/KRCG) A 12-year-old Missouri boy has been arrested and charged with two counts of first-degree murder for allegedly shooting and killing his mother and stepfather in their mobile home Monday night.

Camden County Chief Juvenile Officer Tammy Walden said a petition has been filed to charge the young boy as an adult with two counts of first degree murder, for the murder of Rachael and Jaeson Duncan, according to CBS affiliate KRCG.

According to neighbors, the juvenile reportedly shot his stepfather in the living room, then proceeded on to the bedroom where his mother was sleeping, and shot her, as well. The boy then called his grandmother, who lives nearby, and then called 911 to report the shooting, say police.

Authorities declined to identify the boy because he is a juvenile.

Officers arrived at Palace Lane Estates mobile home park around 11:50 p.m. to find both parents deceased with multiple gunshot wounds, said KRCG. Neighbors claimed the young boy told police someone came into the home and shot his mother and stepfather. They said police immediately detected something wrong with the story.

According to one local resident, the boy went to a friend's house early Monday night begging to stay with his friend because he was being abused.

The boy attended School of the Osage and was described by neighbors as "nice" and "well-liked," often seen in the community mowing lawns or playing with dogs. Neighbors also indicated that five other children lived in the home, but were not in the home when the shooting occurred.

The bodies are at the Boone County Medical Examiner's office in Columbia for an autopsy. According to Walden, the boy is being held in custody at Mary Dickenson Juvenile Justice Center in Camdenton, Mo., awaiting a detention hearing. The investigation is ongoing.