1 killed in small plane crash near bank outside Chicago

A small plane crashed into a bank parking lot in Bolingbrook, Ill. on Sept. 25, 2013. CBS Chicago

Updated 3:05 a.m. ET Sept. 26, 2013

BOLINGBROOK, Ill. A small plane crashed into a bank parking lot while trying to land at an airport in suburban Chicago Wednesday, killing one person and injuring at least one other, reports CBS Chicago station WBBM-TV.

The plane was carrying two passengers, a man and his wife. The woman died in the crash and the man suffered burn wounds and was hospitalized at nearby Adventist Hospital in Bolingbrook before being transported via helicopter to Loyola University Medical Center.

Witnesses said the man was covered in flames when he exited the plane crash.

"He was actually walking on fire and he kind of fell down to the ground," said witness Mike Grohar.

That's when witnesses say Good Samaritans pulled the pilot away from the plane and threw blankets over him to smother the flames.

"He just kept asking to get his wife out of the plane," said Grohar.

There were no reports of injuries to people on the ground.

Police say the single-engine airplane crashed around 5:15 p.m. into a tree, light pole and several vehicles near a Chase Bank.

Several cars were on fire before being extinguished by fire crews on the scene. The plane was completely destroyed.

The Cirrus SR-22 single-engine plane is registered to GDK International LLC in Georgetown Kentucky. The plane took off from Scott County Marshall Field in Georgetown, Kentucky around 3:08 p.m. Chicago time.

The FAA and NTSB are investigating the crash.

George Steimer owns Wine Styles right across the street from the airport. He says he's used to the sound of planes, but this one was different.

"It turned out it was an airplane shearing off a pole just to the left of the bank and all I saw was a wing and a belly, I couldn't tell what size it was, and then it just crashed. Then it burst into flames. I looked out and there was a man fully-engulfed in flame," said Steimer.

A man ran into his store and borrowed his fire extinguisher to try to stop the man from burning.