Cats especially tend to play with houseplants or nibble on leaves and flowers. Benson warns that lilies, in particular, are "extremely toxic" to cats, with one 2012 claim reaching $1,800. The Food and Drug Administration says all parts of lilies (leaf, pollen and flower) are toxic for cats and can cause vomiting, lethargy, loss of appetite, kidney failure may lead to death. Lilies are especially popular around Easter, so this is a timely tip.
Dogs also eat plants, but Benson notes they are more likely to dig and go straight for the bulbs, which are actually more concentrated in toxins. He noted one recent claim from a goldendoodle who snacked on narcissus bulbs and needed emergency care.
Other plants with toxins include tomato plants, tulip bulbs, azalea, rhododendron, and wild mushrooms. Some fertilizers or mulch people use in the yard also contain toxins and can cause harm if eaten.
Just like for medication and foods, people can contact their vet or a pet poison control center if they're ever in doubt about a plant or flower their pet ate.