Cured salmon with a touch of color
(CBS News) Sometimes this blog is difficult to write. What memory in my life reminds me of cured salmon? Hmm...my distaste for lox? My absolute love for salmon sashimi?
Unfortunately, there are not many stories attached to either of these. Unless you'd like to hear about how I don't understand the appeal of smoked salmon (I find the taste kind of funky)...or my occasional All You Can Eat/Drink sushi and sake nights...Not so much? Didn't think so.
But what I can tell you is that we learned a recipe for non-smoked cured salmon that I wish I had tried a long time ago.
Gravlax is almost like salmon sashimi, but with the texture of lox and it is far more flavorful. It's a touch sweet, with hints of lime and dill. And, it's super easy to make. I wish I had discovered it a long time ago, so now I'm passing it on to you.
Watch the video above to learn how to make a really yummy gravlax, and how to add a touch of color to the fish to make it extra appealing.
Adapted from The International Culinary Center
- 1lb 8 oz salmon fillet, skin on
- 1/4 cup sea salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon white peppercorns, crushed
- 1/4 cup fresh dill, chopped
- 1 tablespoon aquavit (optional)
- 1 tablespoon lime zest (optional)
- 1/4 cup grated beets (optional)
1. Combine the salt, sugar and crushed white peppercorns. Mix until thoroughly combined. Pour a layer of the mixture into the bottom of a baking sheet.
2. Score the skin of the salmon. Place the salmon on top of the salt mixture. Top with the remaining salt mixture. Add dill, lime zest and Aquavit. Cover with grated beets. Wrap thoroughly in plastic wrap. Cover with tin foil. Refrigerate for two to three days.
3. Unwrap salmon, rinse with water and dry with paper towel before slicing.
Popular in Entertainment
- Kim Kardashian on baby's arrival: "So crazy!"
- Etheridge calls Jolie's mastectomy a "fearful choice" 75 Comments
- Music critics believe in Kanye West's "Yeezus"
- Listen: John Mayer's new single "Paper Doll"
- "Bachelorette": Desiree lets two lukewarm lovers go
- Johnny Depp on "unpleasant" split with Vanessa Paradis
- Kris Jenner: Kim Kardashian is "thrilled" about baby
- "The Voice": Top three sing for the win