John Currence offers Southern comfort food
(CBS News) NEW YORK -- John Currence started his landmark restaurant, City Grocery, in Oxford, Miss. 20 years ago.
Since then, his empire has expanded. He now owns three other eateries.
In 2009, John won the James Beard Award for Best Chef in the South.
John brought his ultimate dish, Court Buillon, to "CBS This Morning: Saturday."
CRAWFISH MAQUE CHOUX
- 1/2c. Butter
- 8c. Sweet Corn Kernels
- 4c. Tomato-chopped
- 1c. Yellow Onion-chopped
- 1T. Garlic Puree
- 1 Medium Green Bell Pepper, small dice
- 1 Medium Red Bell Pepper, small dice
- 1 small Jalapeno Pepper, small dice
- 1# Crawfish Tails, drained
- Salt and Black pepper, to taste
- 3T. Creole Seasoning
- 2c. Scallions, chopped
- 3/4 c. Heavy Cream
Melt butter in a large saute pan and saute onion and garlic until tender.
Add green bell peppers and simmer until soft.
Stir in crawfish tails and season lightly with salt and black pepper.
Blend in corn and tomatoes and simmer until tomatoes release their water and it begins to evaporate.
Stir in creole seasoning and heavy cream and simmer over medium heat for about ten minutes.
Remove from heat season to taste with salt and black pepper and let cool to room temperature.
Stir in scallions and store chilled in plastic.
- 1/2c. Paprika
- 6 Tbsp Salt
- 6 Tbsp Garlic Powder
- 3 Tbsp Black Pepper
- 3 Tbsp Onion Powder
- 3 Tbsp Cayenne Pepper
- 3 Tbsp Oregano
- 3 Tbsp Thyme
- 3 Tbsp Fennel Seed, crushed roughly
- 2 Tbsp Red Pepper Flakes
Combine above ingredients and store in air-tight plastic container.
- 6 Egg Yolks
- 1 c. Ruby Port (tawny works fine as well)
- 1/2 c. Sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. Lemon Juice
- 1 c. Heavy Cream
- 4 Tbsp. Powdered Sugar
- 1 tsp. Vanilla
Whisk yolks and sugar together in a stainless bowl until well blended and pale.
Whisk in port and blend again.
Place over double boiler and whisk constantly until tripled in volume.
Drizzle in lemon juice.
Remove from heat and allow to cool briefly.
Whip cream with powdered sugar and vanilla to stiff peaks.
Fold into sabayon and chill. (This should hold up for a full evening's service)
For more of John's recipes, go to Page 2.
- no previous page
Popular in Entertainment
- Amanda Bynes arrested on bong-related counts
- Amanda Bynes 20 Photos
- Amanda Bynes in court for possession of marijuana Play Video
- Amanda Bynes charged in NYC in accused bong toss
- Ray Manzarek remembered by Doors bandmates, rockers
- Snooki: N.J. Gov. Christie "just doesn't like us"
- "Arrested Development" returns: Will you binge-watch?
- Something old, new, borrowed and...zombie 9 Photos