George H.W. Bush subject of HBO documentary "41"
(CBS News) George H.W. Bush, the 41st President of the United States, is the subject of a revealing new HBO documentary called "41."
Writer-director-producer Jeffrey Roth said the Bush family "seemed to enjoy it" at a screening Tuesday night at near the family's summer home in Kennebunkport, Maine.
Roth said he intended the film to capture the former president as a person, "a man who did fascinating things in his life."
The elder Bush doesn't like to talk about himself, so Roth said he was surprised to hear in an e-mail - after initial refusals from his representatives - that he was "intrigued" by the idea of a film about him.
"We had this unique opportunity to be with him to tell the story in his own words, which historically has not been done before," Roth said. "And yet to try to get him to talk about himself for somebody who doesn't like to talk about himself was very difficult to do."
For more with Roth on filming Bush and his family and their reactions to the film, watch the video in the player above.
- Watch: Fiery collapse of railroad trestle
- British soldier savagely killed in London machete attack
- Fox News reporter secretly monitored by Obama administration
- Video shows London suspects with radical preacher
- Miller on London attack: "We've never seen anything like this"
- Extra: Okla. dog owner and dog Bowser reunited
- Woman tried to "talk down" suspects in UK slaying
- Calif. pols push for law to make reckless pay price of rescue
- Eye Opener: Bridge collapse makes for holiday travel mess
- Bowser and Barbara: Dog owner's joy amid Okla. rubble
- Boston bombing suspect's friend killed in FBI shootout
- Doctor: Modern wheat a "perfect, chronic poison"
- Forbes 100 Most Powerful Women of 2013 list released
- Lyme disease: What you need to know about ticks
- London attack novel in its simple brutality
- Stories of survival: Second-grader recounts tornado