Aziz Ansari combats web piracy with a $5 special
Aziz Ansari, best known as Tom Haverford on NBC's "Parks and Recreation," has also been a busy stand-up comic for the past decade.
Now, Ansari has a new comedy special called "Dangerously Delicious," which he's offering directly to his fans online for $5.
Ansari said he got the idea from a fellow comedian and decided to film his special and release it online because that's how many people are watching his routines.
"I saw how many like views on YouTube compared with how many DVDs I was selling, and it was clear people liked watching this kind of content online," Ansari said on CBS This Morning." "... A DVD is like 20 bucks or something. You know (with this sale that) all the money is going to the artist. ... Just $5, you own the video, you can watch it on anything."
He added, "I just think the problem is, with a lot of stuff, is the way people consume media now is so far ahead of the way companies release it. And it gets frustrating because they're like, 'Oh, I want to watch that show. Is it on Netflix? No. Is it on YouTube? No. I'm just going to steal this because I can't find it.' ... I've seen many surveys that say people that steal stuff like that online ... (people) say, if it was convenient to find this and it was fairly priced, I wouldn't have stolen it.' And I think that's true. I think, you know, that frustration I describe is a common thing."
For more with Ansari -- who people may not know is a graduate of New York University's Stern School of Business -- on how he started doing comedy and why his special is called "Dangerously Delicious," watch the video in the player above.
- Woman tried to "talk down" suspects in UK slaying
- Fox News reporter secretly monitored by Obama administration
- British soldier savagely killed in London machete attack
- Boston bombing suspect's friend killed in FBI shootout
- Watch: Fiery collapse of railroad trestle
- Bowser and Barbara: Dog owner's joy amid Okla. rubble
- Forbes 100 Most Powerful Women of 2013 list released
- Stories of survival: Second-grader recounts tornado
- Doctor: Modern wheat a "perfect, chronic poison"
- Boston bombings suspect left note in boat he hid in
- Spirit Airlines CEO on bad ratings, high occupancy
- Eye Opener: WH confirms 4 Americans killed in drone attacks
- Regis Philbin on Weiner: "He's got a lot of guts...and chest"
- Gold prices plummet: What does it mean?
- Carey: Why I changed my mind about "Price is Right"
- Spirit Airlines CEO: We're the McDonald's of airlines