Dr. Phil McGraw: I don't like confrontation
The king of daytime television -- Dr. Phil McGraw -- is No. 1 in the ratings after ten years of straight talk. He can be quite a bulldog when he wants to be, but Gayle King learned that the tough guy on TV can be a big softie given the right surroundings.
McGraw really doesn't like confrontation. "You know, even when I was growing up, I would go in and out my bedroom window to keep from going through the house because I didn't like confrontation. And there was a lot of that that going on. I'd do anything to avoid it."
Though his show is sometimes based on confrontation McGraw said, "Well, but I never confront just to be confronting. I never support just to be supporting. I assess the situation. And if somebody is really headed for self destruction, I am definitely willing to step up and give them a wake-up call."
Watch the video in the player above to see McGraw open up about the future of the show, his family and how honesty has been a cornerstone of his broadcast .
Also, Dr. Phil opened up about being a grandpa. Watch that Web-only video below.
- Woman tried to "talk down" suspects in UK slaying
- Fox News reporter secretly monitored by Obama administration
- British soldier savagely killed in London machete attack
- Boston bombing suspect's friend killed in FBI shootout
- Watch: Fiery collapse of railroad trestle
- Bowser and Barbara: Dog owner's joy amid Okla. rubble
- Forbes 100 Most Powerful Women of 2013 list released
- Stories of survival: Second-grader recounts tornado
- Doctor: Modern wheat a "perfect, chronic poison"
- Boston bombings suspect left note in boat he hid in
- Spirit Airlines CEO on bad ratings, high occupancy
- Eye Opener: WH confirms 4 Americans killed in drone attacks
- Regis Philbin on Weiner: "He's got a lot of guts...and chest"
- Gold prices plummet: What does it mean?
- Carey: Why I changed my mind about "Price is Right"
- Spirit Airlines CEO: We're the McDonald's of airlines