Psychiatrist: Slow brain aging with good choices
If you make good decisions about your physical and your emotional health, you literally can slow down or even reverse the brain's aging process, according to award-winning psychiatrist Dr. Daniel Amen, author of "Use Your Brain to Change Your Age."
Amen, whose four clinics across the U.S. do brain imaging over the last 20 years, has found that over time, the brain becomes less and less active. However, you can make changes to your life that can affect change in your brain.
This is particularly apparent, Amen said, in relation to weight.
He explained your your weight can actually affect your brain size. As your weight increases, your brain decreases in size and function.
"We published two studies this year (on that topic)," Amen said. "It's really quite terrifying. ... With two-thirds of our country overweight, one-third obese, it's a serious crisis. But the exciting news...is if you get on the right program, a brain smart program, you can reverse it."
Amen's suggestions include eating a good diet -- perhaps with a simple vitamin supplement -- and also avoiding brain injury, drugs, alcohol, and environmental toxins.
Amen also talked about the importance of taking steps early in life to avoid the risk of Alzheimer's disease and dementia. For more on that watch the video in the player above.
- Don't take vitamins, doctor warns in new book
- Watch: Careless baggage handler tosses boxes on conveyor belt
- Jimmy Hoffa grave found?
- Doctor: Modern wheat a "perfect, chronic poison"
- Photos: Underground shots of NYC's Second Ave. subway project
- Obama: I don't have a problem with NSA surveillance
- Colo. wildfire arson? How investigators will track down blaze origins
- Evelyn Stevens: Wall Street cubicle-dweller turned pro cyclist
- Sharyl Attkisson on computer hacking: "I'm outraged"
- Angelina Jolie "very grateful" for support after double mastectomy
- WikiLeaks' Assange opens up to Rolling Stone
- State Dept. memo reveals possibly extensive cover-ups
- Driverless boat circles after passengers tossed in wave
- Black bears battle on suburban front lawn
- Vanessa Redgrave on showing your "true colors," theater
- "Hidden" mortgage fee paying for payroll tax cut