Demi Moore 911 call reveals "real emergency"
The tape of the frantic 911 call from actress Demi Moore's Beverly Hills home Monday night is out and, reports CBS News national correspondent Lee Cowan, the scene sounds a lot more dire than her publicist had let on.
After Moore was rushed to the hospital, a statement said she 'd be seeking professional help for exhaustion and her overall health.
"The 911 tape really indicates that this is a much more serious situation than we were first led to believe," says US Weekly's Melanie Bromley. "We've been told it's exhaustion that she's suffering from, but you can tell from the tape that there's a very desperate situation there. She's having convulsions and she's almost losing consciousness. It's a very scary tape to listen to."
"She was definitely in trouble," Dr. Howard Samuels, a psychotherapist and leading expert on alcohol and drug addiction, and CEO of The Hills Treatment Center in Los Angeles, said on "CBS This Morning: Saturday." "This was a real emergency. You could hear the panic in the voices on the telephone. Obviously, you know, this was a 911 call that was very serious. And, especially when the paramedics came, they took her to the hospital, because, many times, the paramedics will come and, if it's not that serious, they'll leave. But they took her to the hospital, which shows you the seriousness of this."
Some observers, says Cowan, blame her recent split with husband Aston Kutcher, after allegations he'd cheated on her, for her troubles. Others say the marriage was in trouble long before that.
To see Cowan's full report, which includes audio from the 911 call, and for more from Samuels on Moore's situation, including what she was likely smoking that night and her prospects for recovery, click on the video in the playe above.
- How tornado survivor Barbara Garcia, rescued dog Bowser are faring
- Miller on London attack: "We've never seen anything like this"
- British soldier savagely killed in London machete attack
- Video shows London suspects with radical preacher
- BASE jumper rides snowmobile off cliff to honor dead friend
- Fox News reporter secretly monitored by Obama administration
- Former POWs reunite after 40 years
- Liberace talks his style in 1985 "Nightwatch" interview
- Woman tried to "talk down" suspects in UK slaying
- London attack novel in its simple brutality
- Schieffer: You can't just declare war on terror over
- Wayne Brady on Bill Maher: Black man comment "pissed me off"
- Calif. pols push for law to make reckless pay price of rescue
- Watch: Fiery collapse of railroad trestle
- Tornado survivor, dog receive outpouring of support
- Boy Scouts gay decision will prompt "mass exodus," conservatives say