Bill Gates reacts to Microsoft's first reported quarterly loss
(CBS News) In the wake of Microsoft's first reported quarterly loss, Microsoft chairman Bill Gates responded to critiques that Microsoft has lost its ability to innovate, telling CBS News "the tech industry is very competitive."
Gates said the company has been working on products for years that are just coming out, and it's "always a bit backwards looking." He added, "Are there products that Microsoft has done super well on? Absolutely. ... Are there products other companies have done super well on? Yeah, absolutely. It's a great field. It's a great field to be a customer in. ... The tech industry is so amazing and Microsoft is a huge contributor."
Gates downplayed the company's recent loss saying it's "an accounting thing that led to that...one-time thing." He added, "I don't think you should read too much into it. Microsoft, on a financial basis, a research basis, is a phenomenally strong company."
For more with Gates on his continued presence in the company as its chairman, and his philanthropic efforts, particularly in the fight against HIV/AIDS, watch the video in the player above.
- Boston bombings suspect left note in boat he hid in
- Watch: Deer crashes through windshield of bus
- Mark Harmon: Humor and characters make "NCIS" a hit
- Tim McGraw on aging, getting in shape and his favorite song
- Geist: Parkinson's revelation "very difficult"
- American engineer's death suicide or cyber-espionage?
- Incurable bacteria destroying Fla. citrus industry
- Vegan firefighter on his "Beef With Meat"
- Emmy-winner Jim Parsons on his "Big Bang" success
- THE Dish: Chef Jet Tila's drunken noodles
- Identity of mystery man in Bill Gates photo revealed
- Amy Grant on success and the inspiration for her music
- Russia offers more evidence in alleged CIA spy case
- What's for lunch? In Japanese schools it's always healthy
- U.K. casino accuses U.S. poker champ of cheating
- Immigration reform: Lawmakers say tentative deal reached