Walker: Questions about Romney's taxes "ridiculous"
WAUKESHA, WI - JUNE 05: Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker greets supporters at an election-night rally June 5, 2012 in Waukesha, Wisconsin. Walker, only the third governor in history to face a recall election, defeated his Democrat contender Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett. Opponents of Walker forced the recall election after the governor pushed to change the collective bargaining process for public employees in the state. (Scott Olson/Getty Images)
(CBS News) As Democrats continue to call on Mitt Romney to release more of his tax records, Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker on Friday dismissed concerns over the issue as "ridiculous," arguing that voters only care about "their own taxes."
"This whole issue is completely ridiculous," Walker said in an interview on "CBS This Morning." "I talked to voters in my state. They don't care about this. What they care about is their own taxes and most importantly what it means to jobs in the state."
On Thursday, after months of speculation surrounding Romney's financial history fueled in part by the presumptive Republican nominee's refusal to release more than two years' worth of tax returns, the candidate told reporters he had never paid less than 13 percent in taxes.Ann Romney on taxes: "There's nothing we're hiding"
Reid aide spills details about Bain source, then retracts them
Obama ad: Did Romney pay zero percent in taxes?
Democrats, who have been hammering Romney over the issue for weeks, challenged him to "prove it."
Walker countered that the Obama campaign is focusing on the tax issue to distract voters from the substantive issues at hand.
"The Obama campaign wants to talk about this because they don't want voters in states like mine to look at the failed record," Walker said. "Voters in our state want to know what you're going to do to turn things around. And Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan have a substantive plan to do that and to put people back to work."
- British soldier savagely killed in London machete attack
- Miller on London attack: "We've never seen anything like this"
- How tornado survivor Barbara Garcia, rescued dog Bowser are faring
- Video shows London suspects with radical preacher
- Fox News reporter secretly monitored by Obama administration
- BASE jumper rides snowmobile off cliff to honor dead friend
- Watch: Fiery collapse of railroad trestle
- Former POWs reunite after 40 years
- Liberace talks his style in 1985 "Nightwatch" interview
- Calif. pols push for law to make reckless pay price of rescue
- Woman tried to "talk down" suspects in UK slaying
- London attack novel in its simple brutality
- Wayne Brady on Bill Maher: Black man comment "pissed me off"
- Eye Opener: Bridge collapse makes for holiday travel mess
- Schieffer: You can't just declare war on terror over
- Extra: Okla. dog owner and dog Bowser reunited