Powell still undecided on choice between Obama and Romney
UPDATED 8:58 a.m. ET
(CBS News) Colin Powell still has not decided whether he will vote for Mitt Romney or President Obama this November.
The former secretary of state who famously backed Mr. Obama in 2008 after serving under his predecessor, former President George W. Bush, told "CBS This Morning" that his judgment is "incomplete."
"I haven't seen everything that Mitt Romney is going to do," Powell said, adding that he may not even publicly announce his choice.
"I don't feel any obligation to make an endorsement because I am on a book tour," Powell said as he promotes his new book, "It Worked for Me: In Life and Leadership."
Asked if Mr. Obama should be worried that he is not backing the president this time after endorsing him four years ago, Powell said his announcement in 2008 was later in the campaign season.
"You know, I don't feel I'm sort of a playmaker in this. I'm a citizen who will make my own judgment in due course and I'll either vote that judgment or share with my fellow citizens."
Powell also said he does not think the United States should intervene to quell unrest in Syria, which he characterized as a "civil war."
"I think it is really a civil war and it probably has been a civil war for sometime," Powell said.
He said policymakers have to ask themselves if someone should intervene, noting that that someone "almost always" turns out to be the United States.
"I don't think we can do that. I don't think we should find ourselves in the middle of this," he said, noting that if the United States were to take out the Assad government, the United States would be responsible for the country "as we learned in Afghanistan and Iraq."
"I don't think that should be our responsibility. I don't sense any energy to do that," he said.
- Boston bombings suspect left note in boat he hid in
- American engineer's death suicide or cyber-espionage?
- Watch: Deer crashes through windshield of bus
- Mark Harmon: Humor and characters make "NCIS" a hit
- Geist: Parkinson's revelation "very difficult"
- Incurable bacteria destroying Fla. citrus industry
- What's for lunch? In Japanese schools it's always healthy
- Amy Grant on success and the inspiration for her music
- Vegan firefighter on his "Beef With Meat"
- Identity of mystery man in Bill Gates photo revealed
- Emmy-winner Jim Parsons on his "Big Bang" success
- U.K. casino accuses U.S. poker champ of cheating
- THE Dish: Chef Jet Tila's drunken noodles
- Russia offers more evidence in alleged CIA spy case
- Predicting weather: National Weather Service gets a boost
- Tim McGraw on aging, getting in shape and his favorite song