Jeb Bush on brother: "Determined," not stubborn
(CBS News) Former governor of Florida Jeb Bush thinks his brother George W. will be "admired for his determination and fortitude."
In an interview with Charlie Rose airing Thursday on "CBS This Morning," Bush spoke candidly about being the son of President George H.W. Bush and brother of President George W. Bush.
Bush denied that stubbornness ran in the family but, "Maybe in the case of my brother."
"There's a fine line between stubbornness and the positive side of that, which is dogged determination," Bush said. "And I think what people will begin to see is that he (George W.) wasn't stubborn. He was totally determined and principled about it. And the country was safer because of it. That will be the positive legacy of George W. Bush."
Bush praised his brother's physical and mental discipline. "To take the beating he took and to stay on course, I admire it tremendously. I'm not sure I would have, -- I probably would have lost my temper. I think a lot of people would have lost their temper actually."
"He's my total hero," Bush said of his father. "I mean, I've never met a man as near perfect as George. H.W. Bush." Bush highlighted his father's ability to treat everyone with decency and respect calling him "the full package."
Though his father is slower now Bush said he's good "mentally." "He can't walk," Bush said. "He has to, you know, he's held up by a stroller. ...that's hard for a guy that's been so vital and vigorous in life."
Bush said the former presidents have a "...very close relationship," and they are in "continual contact."
Bush laughed and said, "My guess is my brother would call his mom and his dad pretty regularly, a lot more than I probably did," Bush laugh and said. "I apologize."
- Did British intel try to recruit London attack suspect?
- British soldier savagely killed in London machete attack
- THE Dish: Chef Sara Moulton's DET burgers
- Miller on London attack: "We've never seen anything like this"
- How tornado survivor Barbara Garcia, rescued dog Bowser are faring
- The rise and fall of the classic station wagon
- The Dish: Delicious "welcome to summer" burgers
- Woman tried to "talk down" suspects in UK slaying
- Boston bombings suspect left note in boat he hid in
- Okla. rescue brings dogs back to their owners
- Video shows London suspects with radical preacher
- Madeleine Peyroux sings "Changing All Those Changes"
- Fox News reporter secretly monitored by Obama administration
- Kids invent helmet to stop concussions
- British intelligence tried to recruit London killer, friend says
- Doctor: Modern wheat a "perfect, chronic poison"