Secret Service sex scandal continues to widen
(CBS News) WASHINGTON - It's been more than a week since the Secret Service sex scandal in Colombia exploded into public view, and it seems to be growing.
Six of the 12 agents implicated in the scandal are now out of a job, and the investigation is entering its second week amid new revelations about a prostitute being taken to a sensitive location.
"It just gets more troubling," Sen. Joe Lieberman, I-Conn., said on CBS' "Face the Nation" Sunday.
Five nights before the president's arrival, a twelfth Secret Service official, who was not previously under investigation, allegedly brought a prostitute to the Hilton Hotel in Cartegena, the hotel where the president later stayed.
White House staffers, the press and the other 21 Secret Service officials and members of the military implicated in the scandal stayed at the Hotel Caribe.
There are now six Secret Service personnel who have left their jobs in the wake of the incident. Four have chosen to resign. The other two are supervisors. David Chaney has retired; Greg Stokes has been fired, but has a chance to appeal.
"The key thing here is not that they were prostitutes," Rep. Peter King, R-N.Y., said on NBC's "Meet the Press." "It's the fact that foreign nationals were brought back into a security area on the eve of the trip of the president of the United States goes against everything the Secret Service stands for."
Two senators, including Lieberman, who has oversight of the Secret Service, are asking the White House to make sure no administration staffers on the Colombia trip are involved.
"If anybody at the White House asks for my counsel on this, I would say they ought to be launching their own internal review of all White House personnel," Lieberman said.
For some on Capitol Hill, questions remain about a cultural problem in the Secret Service, where only 11 percent of the agents are women.
"I can't help but wonder, if there'd been more women as part of that detail, if this ever would have happened," Sen. Susan Collins, R-Maine, said on ABC's "This Week" Sunday.
The woman whose complaint about money started all is now being represented by a lawyer, who's offering to negotiate interviews with her for money.
To see Bill Plante's report, click on the video in the player above.
- Bill Plante
Bill Plante is a CBS News Senior White House Correspondent
- Sharyl Attkisson on computer hacking: "I'm outraged"
- Did Putin steal a Super Bowl ring?
- Naval Academy student speaks out on alleged rape
- Arson possible cause of destructive Colo. wildfire
- Spurs bring back 11-year-old singer after racist tweets
- Wounded warriors hold softball camp for children
- Report of U.S. spying on Russia beats Obama to G8
- Study: Sleep apnea affects sudden cardiac arrest risk
- Angelina Jolie "very grateful" for support after double mastectomy
- State Dept. memo reveals possibly extensive cover-ups
- Amphibious bus filled with tourists sinks
- Grower: World's hottest pepper may be the answer to cancer
- Whitey Bulger's neighbor says alleged killer forgave him for turning him in
- Women recall their astronaut wives club
- Pope Francis blesses Harleys and their riders
- Sen. Durbin calls to "narrow" information gathering by NSA