Ang Lee on Oscar win: "I went blank...was very touched"
(CBS News) Ang Lee, took home the Best Director Oscar for "Life of Pi" said two-time Academy Award winner said he "went blank for a little while" when his name was called on Sunday night.
"As I walk up, everybody seems to be very happy that we win this award," he said. "They all stood up and they cheered. They keep on cheering. And I had to give that big bow before they sit down. The energy of the room was very high. So I was very, very touched. It was genuinely a very happy moment for me."
The director admitted that despite his win, he still isn't sure exactly why the film resonated with a broad, international audience. "I don't know. It's a mystery to me," Lee said. "When I made the movie, I think I if I was doing a show and I might have said, 'This is a philosophical book and we're making a very expensive movie,' and I carried the anxiety for a long time. ... I didn't know what I could expect, but then I saw how the movie played throughout the world, and each different culture, they grabbed different things."
The film's star, Suraj Sharma, had never acted before he was plucked from obscurity to play the main character, Pi Patel.
"I think it's miraculous," Lee said of Sharma's skillful debut. "In some ways that, to me, is the purest form of performance. Of course, he's not an experienced actor, but he is Pi. As a filmmaker, I don't know how much more I could ask."
- Incurable bacteria destroying Fla. citrus industry
- American engineer's death suicide or cyber-espionage?
- Boston bombings suspect left note in boat he hid in
- What's for lunch? In Japanese schools it's always healthy
- THE DISH: Chef Jet Tila's drunken noodles
- Mark Harmon: Humor and characters make "NCIS" a hit
- THE Dish: Chef Jet Tila's drunken noodles
- Second Cup Cafe: Amy Grant
- Watch: Deer crashes through windshield of bus
- Group: Small SUV study highlights safety flaws
- Predicting weather: National Weather Service gets a boost
- Second Cup Cafe: Amy Grant sings "Our Time Is Now"
- Tim McGraw on aging, getting in shape and his favorite song
- Amy Grant on success and the inspiration for her music
- Identity of mystery man in Bill Gates photo revealed
- Russia offers more evidence in alleged CIA spy case