Gillibrand: Ryan's cuts will put us back in recession
(CBS News) Senate Democrats unveiled their first budget plan in four years on Tuesday. They presented the budget -- crafted by Sen. Patty Murray, D-Wash., the chair of the Senate Budget Committee -- to President Obama in a closed-door meeting on Capitol Hill.
Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, D-N.Y., told "CBS This Morning" that the Democrats' plan presents a "very balanced budget, one that can certainly cut back spending but in reasonable appropriate ways, can also begin to strengthen our entitlements in a way that keeps them there not just for this generation but for the next generation."
Gillibrand took aim at the GOP plan championed by House Budget Committee Chairmain Paul Ryan. "What Paul Ryan has offered is a cuts-only approach that will put us back into a recession," she said. "I think it's an approach that will change medicare as we know it. It's one that does not protect seniors. It does not protect the middle class."
- Will Ryan budget derail RNC rebranding effort?
- On verge of budget fight, Obama visits Congress
- Democrats pounce on "draconian" Ryan budget plan
Gillibrand also discussed the hearing she is set to chair in the Senate on Wednesday, the first hearing on sexual assaults in the military in nearly a decade. She believes the issue has not gotten enough attention, partly due to the low ratio of women in the Senate. Gillibrand added that "it is outrageous that there are 19,000 sexual assaults in our military every year" and said that "a third of those convicted are still serving in the military."
She called the statistics on sexual assault int he mlitary "incredibly disturbing," and said that of the 2,500 reported assaults in 2011, only 240 of them went to trial.
It's "so important we focus on these prosecutions," Gillibrand said, adding, "A victim needs to know that she will be able to prosecute the criminal who has attacked her."
For more from Gillibrand on the Senate Democrats' budget and on the hearing on sexual assault in the military, watch the video above.
- British soldier savagely killed in London machete attack
- Miller on London attack: "We've never seen anything like this"
- How tornado survivor Barbara Garcia, rescued dog Bowser are faring
- Video shows London suspects with radical preacher
- Fox News reporter secretly monitored by Obama administration
- Watch: Fiery collapse of railroad trestle
- BASE jumper rides snowmobile off cliff to honor dead friend
- Former POWs reunite after 40 years
- Calif. pols push for law to make reckless pay price of rescue
- Liberace talks his style in 1985 "Nightwatch" interview
- Woman tried to "talk down" suspects in UK slaying
- London attack novel in its simple brutality
- Wayne Brady on Bill Maher: Black man comment "pissed me off"
- Eye Opener: Bridge collapse makes for holiday travel mess
- Schieffer: You can't just declare war on terror over
- Extra: Okla. dog owner and dog Bowser reunited