LAPD may be testing Christopher Dorner's word by reviewing ex-cop's firing, expert says
(CBS News) The manhunt for former LAPD officer Christopher Dorner continues as new first-degree murder charges were filed Tuesday against him after last week's ambush-style killing of a police officer.
Dorner is also wanted in two other murders.
Dorner was fired from the LAPD five years ago, when a department board determined that he falsely claimed another officer had kicked a suspect.
Asked about recent decision to reopen the case into Dorner's past with the LAPD, CBS News senior correspondent John Miller, former head of the Major Crimes Division of the LAPD, said the police may be testing Dorner.
"Dorner's manifesto says, 'I need to get my reputation back, and I didn't lie, and I shouldn't have been fired. But if I get justice, the killing stops,'" Miller said on "CBS This Morning" Tuesday. "I think if the department takes a step of, 'We'll take a second look at the case, if he is a man of his word, then the killing has to stop.' "
Tips have poured in since the reward for Dorner reached $1 million, more than any other police search outside the federal government, according to Miller.
The search, now infused with a cash incentive, is having the desired effect, according to Miller, who said, "whoever wasn't looking for him, is now."
For more on the case, watch Miller's full "CTM" analysis in the video above.
- Boston bombings suspect left note in boat he hid in
- American engineer's death suicide or cyber-espionage?
- Incurable bacteria destroying Fla. citrus industry
- Watch: Deer crashes through windshield of bus
- Mark Harmon: Humor and characters make "NCIS" a hit
- What's for lunch? In Japanese schools it's always healthy
- Amy Grant on success and the inspiration for her music
- Emmy-winner Jim Parsons on his "Big Bang" success
- Identity of mystery man in Bill Gates photo revealed
- U.K. casino accuses U.S. poker champ of cheating
- Russia offers more evidence in alleged CIA spy case
- THE Dish: Chef Jet Tila's drunken noodles
- Tim McGraw on aging, getting in shape and his favorite song
- Vegan firefighter on his "Beef With Meat"
- THE DISH: Chef Jet Tila's drunken noodles
- Predicting weather: National Weather Service gets a boost