Cheney: Hagel, Brennan gave "poor" performances in confirmation hearings
(CBS News) In an interview with CBS This Morning host Charlie Rose, former Vice President Dick Cheney said two of President Obama's top cabinet picks proved to be weak choices during their recent Senate confirmation hearings.
"With respect to Chuck Hagel and [John] Brennan... just in the last week, their performance in front of the committees that have to confirm them has been pretty poor," he said. "And that's, you know, not my judgment. That's the judgment, as well, of senators on both sides of the aisle."
White House counterterrorism adviser John Brennan, Mr. Obama's nominee to serve as CIA director, was grilled by the Senate Select Intelligence Committee during his confirmation hearing last week, particularly with respect to the U.S. drone program. He did, however, receive some praise from the likes of Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., the chair of the committee.
- Graham threatens to hold up Hagel, Brennan votes
- Hagel grilled at confirmation hearing, defends record
- Amid protests, Brennan defends drone program
Meanwhile, former Sen. Chuck Hagel, Mr. Obama's defense secretary nominee, faced tough questions from Republicans in the Senate Armed Services Committee last month over both his values and his record. The White House conceded Hagel's testimony was less than perfect. The Senate Armed Service Committee will vote on Hagel's nomination on Tuesday.
Cheney reiterated the charge he put forward in a speech Saturday night, in which he accused the president of having ulterior motives for nominating Hagel.
"My guess is, if you look at what the president's motives are for picking Chuck Hagel, I think he wants a Republican to go be the foil, if you will, for what he wants to do to the Defense Department, which is I think to do serious, serious damage to our military capabilities," he said.
Watch more of the interview Tuesday on CBS This Morning.
- British soldier savagely killed in London machete attack
- How tornado survivor Barbara Garcia, rescued dog Bowser are faring
- Miller on London attack: "We've never seen anything like this"
- Video shows London suspects with radical preacher
- BASE jumper rides snowmobile off cliff to honor dead friend
- Liberace talks his style in 1985 "Nightwatch" interview
- Former POWs reunite after 40 years
- Fox News reporter secretly monitored by Obama administration
- Woman tried to "talk down" suspects in UK slaying
- Schieffer: You can't just declare war on terror over
- London attack novel in its simple brutality
- Watch: Fiery collapse of railroad trestle
- Wayne Brady on Bill Maher: Black man comment "pissed me off"
- Boy Scouts gay decision will prompt "mass exodus," conservatives say
- Carole King celebrates Gershwin Prize honor at White House
- Calif. pols push for law to make reckless pay price of rescue