Cheney: Hagel, Brennan gave "poor" performances in confirmation hearings
(CBS News) In an interview with CBS This Morning host Charlie Rose, former Vice President Dick Cheney said two of President Obama's top cabinet picks proved to be weak choices during their recent Senate confirmation hearings.
"With respect to Chuck Hagel and [John] Brennan... just in the last week, their performance in front of the committees that have to confirm them has been pretty poor," he said. "And that's, you know, not my judgment. That's the judgment, as well, of senators on both sides of the aisle."
White House counterterrorism adviser John Brennan, Mr. Obama's nominee to serve as CIA director, was grilled by the Senate Select Intelligence Committee during his confirmation hearing last week, particularly with respect to the U.S. drone program. He did, however, receive some praise from the likes of Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., the chair of the committee.
- Graham threatens to hold up Hagel, Brennan votes
- Hagel grilled at confirmation hearing, defends record
- Amid protests, Brennan defends drone program
Meanwhile, former Sen. Chuck Hagel, Mr. Obama's defense secretary nominee, faced tough questions from Republicans in the Senate Armed Services Committee last month over both his values and his record. The White House conceded Hagel's testimony was less than perfect. The Senate Armed Service Committee will vote on Hagel's nomination on Tuesday.
Cheney reiterated the charge he put forward in a speech Saturday night, in which he accused the president of having ulterior motives for nominating Hagel.
"My guess is, if you look at what the president's motives are for picking Chuck Hagel, I think he wants a Republican to go be the foil, if you will, for what he wants to do to the Defense Department, which is I think to do serious, serious damage to our military capabilities," he said.
Watch more of the interview Tuesday on CBS This Morning.
- School children among Okla. tornado casualties
- Couple hiding in bathtub saved by Okla. first responders
- Elementary schools packed with kids sat in tornado's path
- Oklahoma tornadoes: Is 2013 worse than 1999?
- Moore tornado: Sights and sounds of disaster, rescue
- Deadly second act: 1999 Moore tornado vs. 2013 storm
- Why can't Oklahoma residents build tornado shelters?
- Stories of survival: Victims on how they weathered Okla. twister
- Mother on reunion with son: I'm amazed he's alive
- Photographer on tornado: By far the most destructive
- Boston bombings suspect left note in boat he hid in
- Athlete-amputee becomes artificial limb inventor
- Tornado aftermath: "It's raining pieces of houses"
- Moore mayor: Six neighborhoods now "nothing but slabs"
- Mark Harmon: Humor and characters make "NCIS" a hit
- Search for victims focused at Plaza Towers Elementary School