Bob Kraft: "Brutal" that the Pats are not in Super Bowl
(CBS News) The New England Patriots were the last team to win a Super Bowl in New Orleans and team owner Robert Kraft admitted on Saturday that it is "brutal" for him to know just how close the Patriots came to the playing in the big game in 2013.
Kraft bought the Patriots in 1995 for $172 million and has since turned the team into a franchise worth well over a billion dollars. Under his ownership, New England fans have seen their team make it to six Super Bowls and win three of them.
Despite the Patriots' absence, Kraft said New Orleans, the 2013 host city, is his favorite Super Bowl locale. "The first time I came here was in '85 when the Patriots were in it and they got demolished...and then in '01, we were privileged to be here and we won that game."Super Bowl XLVII on CBSSports.com
Kraft also touched on top priorities for other NFL team owners and NFL commissioner Robert Goodell, saying they are always searching for new ways to address the "health and safety of the players." Kraft added that player health is "foremost what we're focused on...it's something that we have to be very mindful of."
And while his own team will not be at the Superdome on Sunday, Kraft said he will still be "rooting for ratings" on game day.
"The Patriots aren't here...I want ratings," he said.
- Tim McGraw on aging, getting in shape and his favorite song
- Boston bombings suspect left note in boat he hid in
- John Fogerty: CCR reunion a possibility
- Watch: Deer crashes through windshield of bus
- Self-published Colleen Hoover talks living the American dream
- Athlete-amputee becomes artificial limb inventor
- Mark Harmon: Humor and characters make "NCIS" a hit
- Hobson: Yahoo buys itself some "cool" with Tumblr deal
- The Doors drummer talks Jim Morrison's legacy
- X Games star invents game-changing prosthetic joints
- World War II graduates go to prom 70 years later
- Canadian jazz singer botches U.S. national anthem
- One-pilot flights: Revolutionary or "ludicrous?"
- Hot air balloon accident kills tourist in Turkey
- Accused American spy in Russia: What was he really doing there?
- One-pilot airplanes: The future of aviation?