iSlump? Apple profits may dip
(CBS News) Apple Inc., is set to report earnings on Wednesday after the market closes and amid reports of Google's growing profits. Many tech-watchers say it is likely that Apple will report its first drop in profits in over a decade.
CBS News' business and economics correspondent, Rebecca Jarvis, explained the expected report is important as Apple is "one of the most widely held stocks out there" and is likely "held by anybody with a retirement account."
Jarvis went on to discuss possible factors behind the expected slump, saying the new iPhone 5 is "expensive to make for Apple" and adding "it looks like fewer people are buying it."
And based on the tech giant's upcoming product pipeline, the company has no new "blockbuster" products in the works. "All the new products are renditions of earlier products," Jarvis said.
Apple is also facing much more competition from Google, Jarvis explained, saying "The Android system has taken the number one spot away from the iPhone, both here in the United States and internationally."
For more from Rebecca Jarvis on what to expect from Apple's announcement, watch the video above.
- How tornado survivor Barbara Garcia, rescued dog Bowser are faring
- British soldier savagely killed in London machete attack
- Miller on London attack: "We've never seen anything like this"
- Video shows London suspects with radical preacher
- BASE jumper rides snowmobile off cliff to honor dead friend
- Liberace talks his style in 1985 "Nightwatch" interview
- Fox News reporter secretly monitored by Obama administration
- Former POWs reunite after 40 years
- Woman tried to "talk down" suspects in UK slaying
- Schieffer: You can't just declare war on terror over
- London attack novel in its simple brutality
- Wayne Brady on Bill Maher: Black man comment "pissed me off"
- Watch: Fiery collapse of railroad trestle
- Calif. pols push for law to make reckless pay price of rescue
- Boy Scouts gay decision will prompt "mass exodus," conservatives say
- Tornado survivor, dog receive outpouring of support