DeMint: Obama will "get his wish" to raise taxes
(CBS News) Senator Jim DeMint, R-S.C., said President Obama is likely to win the tax debate over the "fiscal cliff," which means taxes will go up next year.
"He's going to get his wish," DeMint said Thursday on "CBS This Morning." "We're going to be raising taxes."
President Obama insists that any deal to avert the so-called "fiscal cliff" include an increase of tax rates for households making more than $250,000. "He'll probably get his tax increases one way or another," DeMint said.
DeMint went on to argue that tax increases are going to be bad for the economy but admitted that Republican efforts to avoid them might be ineffective.
"It's hard to work with someone who is intentionally trying to take us over this cliff," he said. "The president's proposal is not a plan, it's not a solution," he added, calling it "a political trophy."
DeMint is a vocal leader of the tea party movement and announced his retirement from the Senate four years before his term is up. At the end of the year, he is set to become the president of the conservative think tank, Heritage Foundation. He said on "CBS This Morning" that he is leaving because the Republican Party has not done enough to "convince" Americans that a smaller government is ideal.
"This government doesn't need more money. This country needs less government," he said.
- Obesity's new classification may open up treatment options
- Don't take vitamins, doctor warns in new book
- Mobster opens up on coming forward about Jimmy Hoffa
- Fluffy cows go viral
- Customs officers get high-tech to prevent car theft
- Doctor: Modern wheat a "perfect, chronic poison"
- Consumer Reports reveals rankings for mobile devices
- Watch: Careless baggage handler tosses boxes on conveyor belt
- Top mobile devices, according to Consumer Reports
- Fodor's reveals best summer weekend getaways
- Barbra Streisand speaks out on treatment of women in Israel
- Photos: Underground shots of NYC's Second Ave. subway project
- Jimmy Hoffa grave found?
- Mad Libs keep people laughing after six decades
- Eye Opener: Four Americans killed in Afghanistan
- Angelina Jolie "very grateful" for support after double mastectomy