Ex-Mideast envoy George Mitchell: Real threat in Israel, Palestinian fighting is Hezbollah
(CBS News) Fighting continued to escalate between Israel and militants in the Gaza Strip on Friday, but George Mitchell, retired senator and former U.S. Special Envoy for Middle East peace, says the biggest danger is still looming on the horizon.
Mitchell told "CBS This Morning" co-host Charlie Rose that the militant group Hamas, which controls the Gaza Strip, continually upgrades its arsenal of rockets, but he said the real danger to Israel and neighboring countries is the threat of the current clashes escalating to the point that other Islamic extremist groups in the region are drawn in.
"The real danger is not so much from the 8,000 or 10,000 missiles that Hamas has. Hezbollah has more than 30,000 rockets on Israel's northern border that are better, longer range, more destructive," Mitchell said of the militant organization, which has Iran as its backer.Signs point to Israeli incursion into Gaza Strip
Watch: Israel poised for Gaza incursion
Photos: Bloodshed spirals in Middle East
"Most importantly, Iran has made the leap from liquid fuel rockets to solid fuel rockets and they now possess rockets that, launched from Iran, can reach anywhere in Israel with much greater accuracy and destructive effect than Hamas has," explained the retired diplomat.
Mitchell added that Israel has, "high security interest in maintaining its treaties with Egypt and Jordan, and not taking any action that could somehow spill over into a larger regional conflict."
Click the player above to see Mitchell's full remarks on the current clashes in the Middle East.
- Boston bombings suspect left note in boat he hid in
- THE Dish: Chef Jet Tila's drunken noodles
- Watch: Military Dad's emotional homecoming at home plate
- Mark Harmon: Humor and characters make "NCIS" a hit
- Watch: Deer crashes through windshield of bus
- Russia offers more evidence in alleged CIA spy case
- Tim McGraw on aging, getting in shape and his favorite song
- It's OK to be "pissed at God," reverend says
- Identity of mystery man in Bill Gates photo revealed
- Pres. asks Marines to break military umbrella rule
- U.K. casino accuses U.S. poker champ of cheating
- Emmy-winner Jim Parsons on his "Big Bang" success
- "48 Hours" unravels the lies of Jodi Arias
- Can Obama administration move beyond scandals?
- O.J. Simpson likely to get a new trial?
- Immigration reform: Lawmakers say tentative deal reached