Romney faces high expectations in upcoming debate
Six weeks out from Election Day, President Obama has momentum on his side, CBS News political director John Dickerson said Friday on CBS This Morning. Mitt Romney, however, has a chance to change the dynamic of the race on October 3, in the first presidential debate in Denver.
"The expectations couldn't be higher for Mitt Romney in these debates," Dickerson said.
Mr. Obama at this point has an advantage in multiple swing states, according to the polls. New NBC/ Wall Street Journal polls released Friday show Romney trailing the president by two points in North Carolina and Nevada, and by seven points in New Hampshire.
The president will try to shore up support in Nevada ahead of next week's debate by spending three days there for debate preparation. He'll also have at least one campaign event there.
"What that does is stir up the Democrats in Nevada so they can get those votes banked," Dickerson said, explaining that most Nevada voters are expected to cast their ballots before Nov. 2 this year.
"The experts say that basically by the time we get to Election Day, it may be over," Dickerson said of the race.
Watch Dickerson's "CTM" analysis in the video above.
- Boston bombings suspect left note in boat he hid in
- Watch: Deer crashes through windshield of bus
- American engineer's death suicide or cyber-espionage?
- Geist: Parkinson's revelation "very difficult"
- Mark Harmon: Humor and characters make "NCIS" a hit
- Incurable bacteria destroying Fla. citrus industry
- What's for lunch? In Japanese schools it's always healthy
- Vegan firefighter on his "Beef With Meat"
- Emmy-winner Jim Parsons on his "Big Bang" success
- Amy Grant on success and the inspiration for her music
- Identity of mystery man in Bill Gates photo revealed
- THE Dish: Chef Jet Tila's drunken noodles
- Russia offers more evidence in alleged CIA spy case
- U.K. casino accuses U.S. poker champ of cheating
- Predicting weather: National Weather Service gets a boost
- Tim McGraw on aging, getting in shape and his favorite song