"Elementary" star Lucy Liu discusses female take on Dr. Watson
(CBS News) Lucy Liu stars opposite Jonny Lee Miller on the new CBS show "Elementary" as Dr. Joan Watson, a female take on the traditional Watson character of the Sir Author Conan Doyle books. The move to a female Watson has left some literature purists skeptical, according to Liu who says she understands their concerns and respects them.
Thursday, on "CBS This Morning," Liu said, " "If you have a perspective and you've been following the literature and all that, it's completely understandable. But I do think some people might open to it and it'll be nice to have a modern version of that (relationship)."
"Elementary" is set in New York and follows Liu and Miller's characters as they try to crack the NYPD's most impossible cases.
Asked about her character and the potential for a romantic relationship with Sherlock Holmes, played by Miller, Liu said, "I think there's chemistry between us, but we're not going to go in that direction."
"Instead of labeling it as a romance, they've relabeled it as a bromance," she explained. "They really don't want us to -- I think it's OK to make Watson a woman, but suddenly Holmes and Watson are together rolling around, it might be pushing the envelope a little too much."
Asked if the relationship will eventually go down that road, Liu said, "Listen, season seven if we need to spice things up, I can't guarantee, but currently it's not going to go in that direction."
Liu, known for her roles in "Charlie's Angels," "Southland," "Kill Bill," and "Ally McBeal."
For more with Liu on the new drama "Elementary," watch the video above.
"Elementary" premieres Thursday night, at 10:00 ET, on CBS.
- Boston bombing suspect's friend killed in FBI shootout
- Stories of survival: Second-grader recounts tornado
- Doctor: Modern wheat a "perfect, chronic poison"
- Boston bombings suspect left note in boat he hid in
- Forbes 100 Most Powerful Women of 2013 list released
- Spirit Airlines CEO: We're the McDonald's of airlines
- Spirit Airlines CEO on bad ratings, high occupancy
- Carey: Why I changed my mind about "Price is Right"
- Coach's quick call saves Moore football team
- Mark Harmon: Humor and characters make "NCIS" a hit
- One-pilot flights: Revolutionary or "ludicrous?"
- Deadly second act: 1999 Moore tornado vs. 2013 storm
- Jodi Arias reveals plans for prison
- Couple hiding in bathtub saved by Okla. first responders
- Doctor: Cancer test cost outrageous because of monopoly
- Pregnant teacher used body to shield kids from tornado