Hillary Clinton seems impressed by Bill's DNC speech
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton enjoys a cup of coffee as she tours the Timor Coffee Cooperative in Dili, East Timor, Sept. 6, 2012. (AP)
(CBS News) BRUNEI - Bill Clinton's daughter Chelsea was in the crowd watching as he gave his keynote address Wednesday at the Democratic National Convention, wife and Secretary of State Hillary, however, was almost 10,000 miles away in Asia.
While President Clinton delivered his address in Charlotte, Secretary Clinton was in the tiny country of East Timor - Asia's youngest democracy.She said she had seen the speech as prepared, but wanted to see it as it was delivered. And she would - hours later - when she watched it online as the U.S. Ambassador's residence. (Watch Bill Clinton's full address at left)
She called her husband on the way to the airport to head to Brunei.
Boarding her Air Force plane she seemed enthusiastic, telling reporters Bill's speech was great.
The secretary tried to quiet rumors that there were political motivations for her skipping the convention, saying there is a history of cabinet secretaries not showing up - due to the nonpartisan nature of attending to foreign policy.
President Clinton tried to present a united front, noting that President Obama had, "appointed several members of his cabinet, even though they supported Hillary in the primary. Heck, he even appointed Hillary."
After meeting the Sultan in Brunei - one of the world's wealthiest nations per capita, the Secretary of State will travel on to Russia, where she will represent President Obama at the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation summit this weekend in Vladivostok.
- Margaret Brennan
Principally assigned to the State Department, Margaret Brennan also serves as a CBS News general assignment correspondent based in Washington, D.C.
- British soldier savagely killed in London machete attack
- Miller on London attack: "We've never seen anything like this"
- How tornado survivor Barbara Garcia, rescued dog Bowser are faring
- Video shows London suspects with radical preacher
- Fox News reporter secretly monitored by Obama administration
- BASE jumper rides snowmobile off cliff to honor dead friend
- Watch: Fiery collapse of railroad trestle
- Former POWs reunite after 40 years
- Liberace talks his style in 1985 "Nightwatch" interview
- Calif. pols push for law to make reckless pay price of rescue
- Woman tried to "talk down" suspects in UK slaying
- London attack novel in its simple brutality
- Wayne Brady on Bill Maher: Black man comment "pissed me off"
- Schieffer: You can't just declare war on terror over
- Eye Opener: Bridge collapse makes for holiday travel mess
- Extra: Okla. dog owner and dog Bowser reunited