Maria Sharapova gets personal on "CBS This Morning"
(CBS News) Fresh from clinching a silver medal in the Olympic tennis final, tennis star and international celebrity, Maria Sharapova, joined "CBS This Morning" on Monday for her first ever live interview on morning TV. Sharapova is in New York, gearing up for the U.S. Open tournament, which begins next week. The athlete and businesswoman is also promoting her newest venture, a candy line called Sugarpova, which launches today. The new line is just one of her many business ventures.
25-year-old Sharapova is currently ranked #2 in the world after winning her fourth Grand Slam title this summer at the French Open. During the London games, she played for the Russian team and faced longtime opponent Serena Williams in the finals. On "CBS This Morning," Sharapova spoke about playing in the Olympics for the first time and addressed health challenges that interfered with her playing in the past, before telling King that she is rested and ready for the U.S. Open.
"This is it for the year...as far as the big one, it's the one we really look forward to," she said on "CBS This Morning."
A usually tight-lipped Sharapova revealed new details about her fiance to "CTM" co-host, Gayle King, and talked about her high hopes for the 2012 U.S. Open. Known for very particular high-pitched shriek on the court, Sharapova also weighed in on the proposed ban on "excessive grunting" in the sport.
Watch the video above to hear Sharapova share new details about her personal life and the childhood story behind that famous grunt. And, watch the video below for her full interview on "CBS This Morning."
- Obesity's new classification may open up treatment options
- Fluffy cows go viral
- Top mobile devices, according to Consumer Reports
- Don't take vitamins, doctor warns in new book
- Consumer Reports reveals rankings for mobile devices
- Customs officers get high-tech to prevent car theft
- Mobster opens up on coming forward about Jimmy Hoffa
- Doctor: Modern wheat a "perfect, chronic poison"
- Fodor's reveals best summer weekend getaways
- Watch: Careless baggage handler tosses boxes on conveyor belt
- Barbra Streisand speaks out on treatment of women in Israel
- Mad Libs keep people laughing after six decades
- State Dept. memo reveals possibly extensive cover-ups
- Malls make comeback after recession
- Sharyl Attkisson on computer hacking: "I'm outraged"
- New England Patriots player questioned in possible murder investigation