Rudy Giuliani likes Marco Rubio for Romney VP
(CBS News) Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani weighed in on Mitt Romney's possible choice for vice president, suggesting that the presumptive Republican presidential candidate choose Florida Sen. Marco Rubio.
"I kinda prefer Marco Rubio," Giuliani said Thursday on "CBS This Morning." "Marco Rubio is more qualified than President Obama was when President Obama ran for president," he said, adding that the "most important" consideration when picking a vice president is making sure he or she is ready to be president.
"Vice presidents don't win for the president, they lose for the president," he added.
The speculation over Romney's running mate continues to escalate as the Republican nominating convention is a few weeks away.
Giuliani praised Rubio's intelligence and oratory skills, but said another aspect is key: "he adds the element of outreach to the Hispanic vote and outreach to young people," he said. "The party needs help in both of those areas."
The former 2008 Republican presidential candidate said he is not concerned that Romney comes across as reserved, as polls suggest that voters don't know a lot about the candidate. He said he's impressed with the candidate's business experience.
"Every time I see the Obama ads about Bain Capital, it makes me want to vote for Mitt Romney. My goodness, if he can create billions for other people, maybe he can create millions for America," Giuliani said.
"This guy is a successful guy, maybe we should try that for a period of time as president."
- Boston bombings suspect left note in boat he hid in
- Watch: Military Dad's emotional homecoming at home plate
- Mark Harmon: Humor and characters make "NCIS" a hit
- Watch: Deer crashes through windshield of bus
- It's OK to be "pissed at God," reverend says
- U.K. casino accuses U.S. poker champ of cheating
- Pres. asks Marines to break military umbrella rule
- Russia offers more evidence in alleged CIA spy case
- Tim McGraw on aging, getting in shape and his favorite song
- Identity of mystery man in Bill Gates photo revealed
- Can Obama administration move beyond scandals?
- "48 Hours" unravels the lies of Jodi Arias
- Immigration reform: Lawmakers say tentative deal reached
- Emmy-winner Jim Parsons on his "Big Bang" success
- Vegan firefighter on his "Beef With Meat"
- East Coast preps for cicada invasion