Phil Mickelson on his game: Mental focus an issue
(CBS News) Golf great Phil Mickelson has won four Grand Slam titles, and was just inducted into the World Golf Hall of Fame. But his game this year hasn't been what it once was, he admitted on Thursday on "CBS This Morning."
"I haven't played my best," he said.
Mickelson failed to make the cut at the British Open last week and also at the Greenbrier Classic in West Virginia back in early July.
Mickelson said he's spent a lot of time trying to figure out what the issue may be and said he's identified "a couple of things." He said, "One of the biggest areas...is that mentally I haven't been focusing as fine as I need to. I've been letting where I don't want the ball to go kind of creep in, in my head, as opposed to where I want it to go."
He continued, "I've been a little bit lethargic those last two months. We've got some big tournaments coming up. In fact, the next nine weeks I'm playing seven of them. This is an important stretch to finish the year off right, and I've been working hard to turn it around. It's been a fun challenge."
Mickelson said sometimes it takes a few events to find out what's going on with his game. "If I look back over the last couple of months, it's easier to identify where I've been going off, and I haven't played with the same purpose, whether it's approach heading into the golf tournament or whether it's on each individual shot. That's what I'm going to try to focus on these coming months to get this back on track."
In addition to discussing how he's getting help from legendary golf instructor Butch Harmon, Mickelson also talked about the importance of his competitors and an initiative he and his wife, Amy, founded called the Mickelson Exxon Mobil Teachers Academy, which helps teachers understand math and science. For all that and more, watch the video in the player above.
- Watch: Fiery collapse of railroad trestle
- British soldier savagely killed in London machete attack
- Fox News reporter secretly monitored by Obama administration
- Extra: Okla. dog owner and dog Bowser reunited
- Woman tried to "talk down" suspects in UK slaying
- Video shows London suspects with radical preacher
- Eye Opener: Bridge collapse makes for holiday travel mess
- Bowser and Barbara: Dog owner's joy amid Okla. rubble
- Miller on London attack: "We've never seen anything like this"
- Doctor: Modern wheat a "perfect, chronic poison"
- Boston bombing suspect's friend killed in FBI shootout
- Forbes 100 Most Powerful Women of 2013 list released
- Mark Harmon: Humor and characters make "NCIS" a hit
- Calif. pols push for law to make reckless pay price of rescue
- Stories of survival: Second-grader recounts tornado
- Boston bombings suspect left note in boat he hid in