Carville: Romney losing the fight over Bain
"He's losing the fight because it's getting all convoluted," Carville said Monday on "CBS This Morning." "All people know about Bain is they shipped jobs overseas and they shipped profits overseas," Carville said.Obama justifies focus on Romney's past
Both sides press Romney on tax returns
Carville, who just released his new book "It's the Middle Class, Stupid!", said the election is about the economy, and "Romney is a rich guy, he's not a sympathetic guy in all of this" because the Obama camp is successfully defining Romney as part of a culture that leverages debt on American businesses, shops jobs overseas and sends its profits to Switzerland and the Cayman Islands. "They are trying to define Romney before he gets out of the chute."
"The most significant thing in this campaign," Carville said, is that the Obama campaign has pounced on the message that "Romney is not the solution, he's the problem."
"It's the Mitt Romney's in the world making it difficult, not the president," Carville argued.
Carville said Romney has to "stop whining" and do a better job of defining his time at Bain and highlight other aspects of his qualifications.
"Romney's got to expand his portfolio beyond just Bain," Carville said, noting that Romney was governor of Massachusetts and an influential leader in the Mormon Church.
The Democratic consultant had some advice for the president's campaign, too: "Obama's got to talk about what he's gonna do in the second term." But he said "right now is not the time."
- Did British intel try to recruit London attack suspect?
- British soldier savagely killed in London machete attack
- Miller on London attack: "We've never seen anything like this"
- The rise and fall of the classic station wagon
- How tornado survivor Barbara Garcia, rescued dog Bowser are faring
- THE Dish: Chef Sara Moulton's DET burgers
- The Dish: Delicious "welcome to summer" burgers
- Woman tried to "talk down" suspects in UK slaying
- Boston bombings suspect left note in boat he hid in
- Okla. rescue brings dogs back to their owners
- Madeleine Peyroux sings "Changing All Those Changes"
- Kids invent helmet to stop concussions
- Video shows London suspects with radical preacher
- Elisabeth Rohm discusses her struggle with infertility
- Drive or fly? What summer travel shows about economy
- A peek "Behind the Candelabra"