Bullied school bus monitor finds online support
(CBS News) Karen Klein wasn't having the best of days when she was recently bullied by a bus full of students from Greece, N.Y.
The middle school students teased, taunted and threatened the 68-year-old school bus monitor. The incident was caught on video, posted on YouTube, and instantly went viral -outraging viewers.
The students, between ages 12 and 13, can be heard heckling Klein - calling her "a troll" and asking aloud why there's water running down her face.
"I'm crying," Klein said on the video. "Unless you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all."
Klein, who drove a bus for 20 years, kept her cool. But she told CBS affiliate WROC one comment really hurt.
In the video, a student is heard saying, "But you don't have a family because they all killed themselves because they didn't want to be near you."
"Something about me being so fat and ugly your kids probably should commit suicide," Klein told WROC. "I don't think they knew my son had....I wanted to punch them is what I wanted to do. So that's why I laid back, tried to ignore it. Because I really wanted to hurt them, you know? You can't do that!"
An online viewer started a fund to send Klein on vacation, with a modest goal of $5,000. But as word spread online, the fund exploded. So far, it's raised more than $140,000 and is still growing.
Klein said she doesn't want the students to be criminally charged. But she wouldn't mind seeing them grounded all summer. And if nothing else, she just wants a simple apology.
Correction: An earlier version of this story stated that the vacation fund for Klein was started by a family friend. According to the family, online fundraiser Max Sidorov has no connection to Karen Klein.
- Boston bombing suspect's friend killed in FBI shootout
- Stories of survival: Second-grader recounts tornado
- Doctor: Modern wheat a "perfect, chronic poison"
- Spirit Airlines CEO: We're the McDonald's of airlines
- Boston bombings suspect left note in boat he hid in
- Forbes 100 Most Powerful Women of 2013 list released
- Spirit Airlines CEO on bad ratings, high occupancy
- Coach's quick call saves Moore football team
- Carey: Why I changed my mind about "Price is Right"
- Mark Harmon: Humor and characters make "NCIS" a hit
- One-pilot flights: Revolutionary or "ludicrous?"
- Deadly second act: 1999 Moore tornado vs. 2013 storm
- Jodi Arias reveals plans for prison
- Couple hiding in bathtub saved by Okla. first responders
- Doctor: Cancer test cost outrageous because of monopoly
- Pregnant teacher used body to shield kids from tornado