Sandusky team may allege police coached witnesses
(CBS News) As the defense of Jerry Sandusky begins its second day, at least a dozen witnesses are expected to testify on the former Penn State coach's behalf in his child sex abuse trial - both to support Sandusky's character and to attack the character of his accusers.
CBS News has learned from a legal source that the defense's strategy may include going after the state attorney general's investigation into the Penn State scandal, charging that one of the reasons that the testimony of so many of the alleged victims appears to match up is that they have been coached by police detectives.
Some witnesses are expected to try to tear down the testimony of some of the accusers in the child sex abuse case, Armen Keteyian reports.
Other witnesses will be brought to the stand to prop up Sandusky's stature within the community, much like the six character witnesses who testified on Monday.
The legal source also told CBS News that a Philadelphia psychologist may be called upon to talk about what's called histrionic personal disorder, which is loosely defined as an excessive need for attention and sexually suggestive behavior.
The defense contends that that is the reason behind the so-called love letters that Sandusky wrote to a couple of the alleged victims.
Above, watch Armen Keteyian explain possible strategies of Jerry Sandusky's defense team
- Don't take vitamins, doctor warns in new book
- Jimmy Hoffa grave found?
- Watch: Careless baggage handler tosses boxes on conveyor belt
- Colo. wildfire arson? How investigators will track down blaze origins
- Hitman John Martorano "highly credible" in Bulger trial, expert says
- Obama: I don't have a problem with NSA surveillance
- Doctor: Modern wheat a "perfect, chronic poison"
- Photos: Underground shots of NYC's Second Ave. subway project
- Sharyl Attkisson on computer hacking: "I'm outraged"
- Driverless boat circles after passengers tossed in wave
- Evelyn Stevens: Wall Street cubicle-dweller turned pro cyclist
- Worst Colo. wildfire in history: Is it arson?
- Hitman Martorano "ice cold" at Bulger trial
- Did Putin steal a Super Bowl ring?
- State Dept. memo reveals possibly extensive cover-ups
- Wounded warriors hold softball camp for children