Sandusky jury heavy on Penn State ties
(CBS News) Opening statements are likely to get under way Monday in the sex abuse case of former Penn State assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky, after a defense bid to have all charges dismissed was denied.
Jury selection, which took only three days this week, was "very, very quick," observes Jean Casarez, a correspondent for truTV's "In Session."
And the jury "has such ties to Penn State University," she pointed out to "CBS This Morning: Saturday" co-hosts Jeff Glor and Rebecca Jarvis.
Part of the reason the selection process went as quickly as it did, Casarez says, is that Judge John Cleland was particularly reluctant to grant defense motions for prospects to be ruled out "for cause" (attorneys also have the right to reject jurors without needing a reason).
The regular jury consists of seven women and five men - and ten members of the larger pool of 16, which includes four alternates, have ties of one sort or another to Penn State. Among them -- a season ticket holder, a current professor, a former professor, a current student and a Penn State grad.
The current professor, Casarez, notes, has been with the school 24 years, "regularly had meetings with Graham Spanier, former president of Penn State University, and she worked there when Jerry Sandusky was a coach there. How integrated can you be? It's just amazing. And the student -- he's going to be a senior in the fall."
To see the Casarez discussion with Glor and Jarvis, click on the video in the player above.
- Boston bombings suspect left note in boat he hid in
- American engineer's death suicide or cyber-espionage?
- Watch: Deer crashes through windshield of bus
- Incurable bacteria destroying Fla. citrus industry
- Mark Harmon: Humor and characters make "NCIS" a hit
- What's for lunch? In Japanese schools it's always healthy
- Amy Grant on success and the inspiration for her music
- Emmy-winner Jim Parsons on his "Big Bang" success
- Identity of mystery man in Bill Gates photo revealed
- U.K. casino accuses U.S. poker champ of cheating
- Russia offers more evidence in alleged CIA spy case
- Tim McGraw on aging, getting in shape and his favorite song
- THE Dish: Chef Jet Tila's drunken noodles
- Vegan firefighter on his "Beef With Meat"
- THE DISH: Chef Jet Tila's drunken noodles
- Predicting weather: National Weather Service gets a boost