Sully weighs in on Delta emergency landing
(CBS News) The "Miracle on the Hudson" pilot said it's "a bad idea" to build anything near an airport that's likely to attract birds.
Capt. Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger made the comments Friday on "CBS This Morning" after a bird strike caused the emergency landing of a plane on Thursday.
Delta Airlines flight 1063 had an emergency landing at JFK, the airport it just took off from Thursday, after a bird strike knocked out an engine. No one was injured in the landing.
The plane landed safely back on the ground after a harrowing few minutes in the air. Inspectors examined the right engine, which was damaged after what passengers describe as violent shaking followed by smoke seen in the cockpit.
(Watch Michelle Miller's report on the Delta flight.)
"The loss of a single engine is on takeoff is something that pilots train for on a regular basis," Sullenberger said. "It's well within the skill set."
Capt. Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger safely landed US Airways flight 1549 in the Hudson River in January 2009 after its engines were disabled after hitting a flock of birds.
One passenger shooting video after takeoff captured striking footage of a flock of birds out the window. A freeze frame shows at least seven birds some of which were probably ingested in the right engine.
Sullenberger said bird populations have grown in the past decades. He expressed concern about a proposal in the city of New York to build a trash facility near LaGuardia airport.
- Woman tried to "talk down" suspects in UK slaying
- Fox News reporter secretly monitored by Obama administration
- British soldier savagely killed in London machete attack
- Watch: Fiery collapse of railroad trestle
- Bowser and Barbara: Dog owner's joy amid Okla. rubble
- Boston bombing suspect's friend killed in FBI shootout
- Spirit Airlines CEO on bad ratings, high occupancy
- Stories of survival: Second-grader recounts tornado
- Forbes 100 Most Powerful Women of 2013 list released
- Doctor: Modern wheat a "perfect, chronic poison"
- Boston bombings suspect left note in boat he hid in
- Delta CEO talks travel headaches
- Extra: Okla. dog owner and dog Bowser reunited
- Regis Philbin on Weiner: "He's got a lot of guts...and chest"
- Gold prices plummet: What does it mean?
- Vietnam War-era films unearthed: man attempts to reunite families with their films