THE Dish: Scott Conant's savory Spiced Duck
- 2ea Butter Nut Squash
- To taste Mustard Oil
- 2 sprigs Sage and Rosemary
1. Cut squash in half, season, and roast in oven with herbs till soft.
2. Scoop out flesh, strain and reduce liquid then recombine
3. Puree in blender adding a little mustard oil.
4. Chill and reserve
- 5 cloves
- 1 cinnamon broken in half
- 1 tbsp mustard seeds
- 1 sprig of rosemary
- 2 Star Anise
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 4 1/2 pounds of Fiji apples cut into small dice
- 3 c of apple cider
- 1/4 c of brunoise ginger
- 1/2 c of cider vinegar
- 1/4 c dark brown sugar
- 1/2 c of dried cranberries
- 2 1/4 tsp of salt
- 2 tsp of peppercino - ground in coffee grinder
- 2 tbsp of bloomed mustard seeds
- 1/4 c of mustard oil
1. Take all ingredients except for apples and bring to a boil.
2. Add apples and lower to simmer. Cook until apples are tender.
3. Once tender add mustard seeds and mustard oil. Cool down.
4. Reserve for service
SAUCE FOR DUCK
- 4qt Brown Chicken Reduction
- 1qt Shallots
- 1qt Apple Cider
- 1pt port
- 1tsp Duck Spices
- 2spr Thyme
1. Caramelize the shallots slowly, then add the spices and thyme to Toast.
2. Add the port and apple cider, then reduce till almost dry.
3. Add the Brown Chicken Stock, and simmer for 30 minutes.
4. Strain sauce, check for seasoning, then chill and reserve
Duck Spice Mix
Lentils with Cotechino
Coat Flesh of Duck Breast with Spice Mix and let marinate overnight.
Render Duck breast till skin is crispy and cook till medium rare.
Warm Separately, Sauce, Puree, and Lentils.
Plate puree on plate then lentils, turnips.
Slice Duck and place on top.
Finish with apple Mostarda, and Sauce
ROSEMARY BRAISED LENTILS
- 2 Boxes Lentils, Green De Puy
- 1can Plum Tomatoes, Pureed
- 2C Shallots, Brunoise
- 1/2C Garlic, Chopped fine
- 1/2C Rosemary, Chopped
- t.t. Chili Flakes
- as needed Olive Oil
- t.t Salt
1. Cover the lentils with cold water in a pot and season with salt.
2. Bring to a simmer and cook till all dente. Drain and Reserve liquid
3. Combine, Shallots, rosemary, chili flakes, and just cover with olive oil.
4. Cook Slowly until shallots are well browned.
5. Add Garlic and cook until tender and starting to color.
6. Add Tomato, and cook until it thickens and darkens slightly.
7. Add Lentils and finish cooking till tender, but still holding their shape. Use reserved liquid from lentils to thin out
8. Season and reserve
Broccoli Rabe, Blanched and Sauteed with Garlic and Shallots
Oven Dried Tomatoes, warmed with olive oil and Chives
Rosemary Braised Lentils, warmed
In a ring mold layer components.
First Lentils, then Broccoli Rabe, then Tomatoes.
Finish by dressing with chive oil and pea shoots
CREAMY POLENTA WITH FRICASSEE OF MUSHROOMS
Makes 4 to 6 servings
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: Approx 3 hours unattended cook time
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cup milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, more to taste
- 2/3 cup cornmeal, preferably coarse ground
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Grana Padano or Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh chives
In a heavy-based saucepan, combine the cream and milk and heat over medium-high heat just until small bubbles begin to appear on the surface. Add the salt, and whisk the cream and milk until quite frothy.
Add the polenta and continue to whisk the mixture as it comes to a boil. Continue whisking for an additional 3 minutes. Reduce the heat to very low, cover the pan, and cook the polenta, switch to a wooden spoon and stir every 5 minutes or so, until the cornmeal is completely cooked and quite tender, about 2-1/2 to 3-1/2 hours. It may seem very thin initially, but it will gradually thicken. As the polenta cooks, a skin will form on the bottom and sides of pan (if you are not using a nonstick pan), which is proper and which gives the polenta a slightly toasty flavor.
Just before serving, stir in the butter, the Grana Padano, and the chives. The polenta should pour from the spoon as you serve it and will thicken as it cools. If necessary, you can thin the polenta with a little milk just before serving. Divide the polenta among heated bowls or plates.
Scarpetta Restaurants Signature Cocktail
- 1 1/2 oz Carpano Antica
- 1 oz St. Germain
- 1 oz Campari
- 1/2 oz Bourbon (any kind)
- 1 oz Orange Juice
- 1/2 Lime, squeezed
Mix ingredients in shaker with ice. Shake well and strain over ice in rocks glass. Garnish with orange twist.
- Obesity's new classification may open up treatment options
- Don't take vitamins, doctor warns in new book
- Watch: Careless baggage handler tosses boxes on conveyor belt
- Doctor: Modern wheat a "perfect, chronic poison"
- Customs officers get high-tech to prevent car theft
- Photos: Underground shots of NYC's Second Ave. subway project
- Jimmy Hoffa grave found?
- Consumer Reports reveals rankings for mobile devices
- Angelina Jolie "very grateful" for support after double mastectomy
- Obama: I don't have a problem with NSA surveillance
- Eye Opener: Four Americans killed in Afghanistan
- Evelyn Stevens: Wall Street cubicle-dweller turned pro cyclist
- WikiLeaks' Assange opens up to Rolling Stone
- Sharyl Attkisson on computer hacking: "I'm outraged"
- Colo. wildfire arson? How investigators will track down blaze origins
- State Dept. memo reveals possibly extensive cover-ups