"Extremely unusual" winter blaze scorches Nevada
A huge brush fire in Nevada has burned nearly two dozen homes. Police say one body has been found, but it's unclear if that has any connection to the fire.
"To say that we're in the thick of battle is an understatement," Tim Leighton, the fire chief of Sierra, Nevada told reporters Thursday night.
The battle for firefighters is trying to stop the fast-moving flames, an inferno driven by 80 mile-per-hour winds, and fueled by bone dry land that hadn't seen rain in a record 56 days.
Leighton tells CBS News it's "extremely unusual" to be fighting a brush fire this late in the season.
"I've been here 24 years and have never seen a fire season extend this long."
People in the Nevada town are used to snowstorms in January, not firestorms. Local resident Barbara Harris was shocked by what she drove into as she fled her home; a wall of smoke so thick she couldn't make out the road in front of her, and ash falling like snow.
What began as a small brush fire quickly gobbled up homes, choked the air with thick black smoke, and shut down highway 395 after visibility dropped to zero.
Click on the player above to see Blackstone's full report from Nevada
- Boston bombings suspect left note in boat he hid in
- Watch: Deer crashes through windshield of bus
- American engineer's death suicide or cyber-espionage?
- Geist: Parkinson's revelation "very difficult"
- Mark Harmon: Humor and characters make "NCIS" a hit
- Incurable bacteria destroying Fla. citrus industry
- What's for lunch? In Japanese schools it's always healthy
- Vegan firefighter on his "Beef With Meat"
- Amy Grant on success and the inspiration for her music
- Emmy-winner Jim Parsons on his "Big Bang" success
- Identity of mystery man in Bill Gates photo revealed
- THE Dish: Chef Jet Tila's drunken noodles
- Russia offers more evidence in alleged CIA spy case
- U.K. casino accuses U.S. poker champ of cheating
- Predicting weather: National Weather Service gets a boost
- Tim McGraw on aging, getting in shape and his favorite song